On this episode, we dig into the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), with a fantastic, in-depth interview with Paul Wilson. From the evolution of SEO practices, to the importance of persona research, we cover it all, in one of the most comprehensive interviews on Inbound Unboxed so far. You’ll also hear about the specific tools and tactics Paul recommends if you want to get the most out of your SEO efforts.
Paul is a passionate digital specialist with 16 years of experience in search, new media marketing, and high tech development. He has managed digital projects for hundreds of small businesses, and has held senior marketing positions for large corporations.
He is also the SEO Author for Pluralsight where he shares his marketing expertise with the IT and developer community. In addition, Paul teaches online courses on digital entrepreneurship at Brigham Young University–Hawaii, and blogs at MyMarketer.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How SEO has evolved over the years
- The importance of having a USP
- Which tools to use to create user personas
- How to do approach competitive research
- Why adding meta keywords to your site could hurt your rankings
- The best tactics for building high quality backlinks
- And much more!
Tools and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rand Fishkin
- Google AdWords Keyword Planner
- Moz Whiteboard Friday
- The Decay and Fall of Guest Blogging for SEO
- Buffer Blog
- Redirection Plugin for WordPress
- Pretty Link Lite Plugin for WordPress
- Mike King
- Google Analytics
- Google Search Console
- Google Sheets
- Merge Words
- Publishing Long-Form Posts on LinkedIn
- Moz Open Site Explorer